Choose language | Alege limba: Română
If I would have to describe these dark chocolate coconut bites in only a few words, I would say: perfection in small portions.
What is there more to say? They are really the perfect dark chocolate coconut bites! :)
And they are homemade, which is a big plus, because you get to control all the ingredients and you know exactly what you use. They are vegan, gluten free, you don’t have to bake them and are super easy to make. Which makes them THE best choice for a quick but luscious dessert.
The only problem is … they are so good, you might be tempted not to share :)
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 8 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 160 g dark chocolate
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Use a food processor or a blender and pulse the shredded coconut a few times.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the honey, the melted coconut oil and the vanilla.
- Incorporate all the ingredients using your hands.
- Before giving each ball its round shape, keep the mixture in your palm and squeeze it for a few seconds. Make 16-18 small balls following the same process.
- Put them in the fridge for about half an hour.
- Melt the chocolate by putting it in a small bowl over a simmering pan with water. Make sure the bowl does not touch the bottom of the pan. Stir continuously until smooth and silky.
- Remove the coconut balls from the fridge and roll each ball into the melted chocolate until completely covered, using two forks. Let the chocolate drip off the fork and back into the bowl before putting each coconut ball on wax paper.
- Put them in the fridge until the chocolate has hardened.
The waiting part is the hardest part, trust me. Especially now that the whole house smells incredible from all that amazing coconut oil!
It’s really important that you use coconut oil for this recipe and not other oils because coconut oil will harden and will keep all that yummy mixture together.
Did you know that …?
Coconut oil is considered to be a superfood and can be used on so many things, whether it is for cooking purpose (like supercharging a smoothie or many other foods or drinks with beneficial saturated fats) or for body care products (you can use it like it is as massage oil, or you can use it to make homemade lotions or soap, toothpaste and many others).
So you’ll even get an extra bonus after making the coconut balls – your hands will be extra soft and super hydrated and they will smell coconutty divine, all natural and healthy!
Good to know when buying coconut oil
Coconut oil is solid at room temperature and it starts to melt at 76 degrees Fahrenheit, so depending on the temperature outside, you can buy it in a solid or liquid state.
Make sure you carefully read the labels when trying to buy coconut oils, it seems some of them are not suitable for eating and can only be used in making body care products.
Dark chocolate coconut bites
Hope I convinced you to give these amazing dark chocolate coconut bites a try. And maybe decide to eventually share them with your loved ones! :)
Don’t forget to smile,
Recipe inspired from a recipe found on Pinterest, from Pinch of Yum.
*This post contains affiliate links of products I love and recommend. See more of my favorites here.